Optimizing images is a "must" when serving them over the net for faster browsing experiences, lower bandwidth & diskspace usage.
Smush-it is a free online service for compressing your images by offering different techniques than Photoshop, Fireworks, etc. & creates non-quality-loss output.
It offers several ways for easier usage:
- Web based uploader that supports unlimited file uploads & optimized images can be downloaded as a .zip file. Images can be uploaded from URLs too.
- Firefox plugin & a bookmarklet for 1-click optimizing for the images exists on that webpage.
- WordPress plugin for automated usage for the uploaded images.
Anyone, who wants to get more bytes out of their images, should take a look at Smush-it.
SmoothGallery is a feature-rich image gallery & slideshow application built with MooTools.
With the "gallery set" function that enables you to present multiple galleries & different transition animations, it is really powerful.
SmoothGallery is designed from the ground up to be standard compliant: You can feed it from any document, using custom css selectors. It is also compatible with all major browsers.
Last week, a post announced the giveaway of 3 FlashEff Premium Unlimited licenses ($249 value / each).
Winners are selected today. But before that, FlashEff has a 50% discount until the end of September (2 days left) & if you’re not one of the winners & want to buy this great component, hurry up.
FlashEff is a Flash CS3 (and Flash CS4 ready) AS3 component for easing the animation process & creating stunning animations.
Tip: To see the beauty of the effects, click here to go to the effects gallery.
Here are the winners:
- Hernan Dario Silva (comment #19309)
- JC (comment #19399)
- SEANRON (comment #19496)
Thanks to everyone for contributing & congratulations to the winners.
Keep following WRD for more great giveaways & web resources.
DragonArtz is presenting 94, very nice & free, background images in PNG format.
Images are very ideal to be used for any purpose including website, banner design, etc.
Images are in 4167*4167px size & in different colors / designs.
There is also full-preview of the images at the DragonArtz website.
DIY Map is a zooming & clickable map, built with Flash, that can be colored with data from a text file.
Using an external data helps using the same Flash file for representing different information.
When a point is clicked & zoomed, any information can be displayed like a link or an address.
List of maps that can be downloaded are world map, USA map, Europe map & few other countries.
The application is free for personal & educational use and requires a licence for commercial use.
This is a free icon set with 50 PNG icons.
The icons in the set are glossy (web 2.0 look) & very nicely done.
Sizes of the icons are 52*51px which is kinda unique.
Flowplayer is a free Flash media player that can configured & styled to fit your needs.
It supports multiple media types: FLV, H.264 coded MP4, JPG, PNG & MP3.
Some features of Flowplayer:
- Full screen mode
- Progressive download
- Ability to play multiple files in 1 stream & ability to include images
- Streaming support: Flash Media Server, Wowza & Red5
- Quick access to specific chapters via thumbnails
- Protection against hotlinking to media files
- Embed links
Besides the free GPL license, there are several other paid licenses. So, make sure you check the licensing before using it.
P.S. This is not a very fresh resource but realized that it was missing in WRD & here it is.
Image Gallery is a free Flash image gallery that comes with the source code.
Settings are configured from a XML file like the names of the categories, images & folders where the images resides.
The gallery presents the images randomly or with an order (can be set via the XML file).
When a thumbnail is clicked, original image is presented in a Lightbox like Flash pop-up, images in that gallery can be browsed easily & even viewed as a slideshow.
The demo of the gallery can be viewed from here. As there is no direct link for the source file in the website, you can download it from here.
P.S. I have contacted Tony Yoo (owner of the gallery) & yes, it is free.
Alfresco is an open source enterprise level CMS application.
It provides document management, collaboration (in beta), records management, knowledge management, web content management and imaging.
Alfresco is built with Java & can be installed in both Window & Linux environments via "all-in-one installers".
Some features of Alfresco:
- Web Content Management
- Web content authors can access and contribute content
- Simply preview in-context changes to any web page or web application
- Reduce the risk of error with simple a virtualization of changes against a live site
- Use your tool of choice, such as Dreamweaver, for web interface development
- The ability to preview in-context changes to any web application, including PHP, Ruby, JSF, Tiles, Struts, Groovy and .NET
- Document Management
- All content is available via a shared drive interface
- All content is available from within MS Office
- Work in an MS Office environment for authoring and viewing
- Save, version, share, search and audit
- & many more..
This application is great for any company who wants to manage all the information from one central including websites, documents & knowledge.
Flashmo, which was presented at WRD (here & here) a while ago has 3 new free Flash galleries.
The galleries are:
Images in the galleries can be edited via a XML file
All the galleries have the source FLA files & you can edit them to make the galleries fit your needs.